Samuel J. Maselli, Esq.
Maselli Law Corporation
Samuel J. Maselli represents clients in civil litigation and general business-related issues and transactions. He has represented clients in a broad range of federal, state, arbitrational, and administrative proceedings throughout California and the United States. Mr. Maselli has represented clients in cases involving claims for fraud, business interference, defamation, wage and hour violations, discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, unfair business practices, negligence, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty. Mr. Maselli has tried multiple cases to final verdict, and has represented clients on appeal.
Mr. Maselli began the Maselli Law Corporation after more than a decade of legal practice at large, international law firms, including Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP and Wilmer, Cutler, Pickering, Hale and Dorr LLP. Mr. Maselli also has served in prosecutor positions at the California Department of Justice and the Monterey County District Attorney’s Office at various points in his career. He is a member of the the Labor and Employment and Litigation Sections of the California Lawyers Association (CLA).
Before becoming an attorney, Mr. Maselli served as a congressional aide in Washington, D.C. and as an advocate for the rural telecommunications industry, focusing on federal legislative and regulatory issues confronting that industry. He has testified before the United States Congress on rural development and finance issues.
Labor and Employment Matters
- Representation of employers in defense of wage and hour class actions throughout State of California.
- Representation of clients in civil litigation matters involving claims for discrimination, harassment, and retaliation in state and federal courts.
- Representation of clients in variety of individual wage and hour disputes, including matters involving violations of Labor Code and applicable Wage Orders.
- Representation of clients in Labor Commissioner proceedings involving wage and hour and prevailing wage issues.
- Representation of clients in matters involving independent contractor misclassification.
Commercial and Intellectual Property Litigation
- Successfully represented orthopedic surgeon and medical corporation in complex litigation involving claims for defamation, business interference, abuse of process, invasion of privacy, and RICO.
- Successfully represented advertising agency and owners in litigation involving claims of breach of contract, defamation, breach of fiduciary, misrepresentation, and violations of California’s unfair competition law (Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 17200, et seq.).
- Successfully represented prominent Silicon Valley consumer products client in multi-venue patent and antitrust litigation against Asian competitor.
- Successfully defended Silicon Valley semiconductor company in International Trade Commission investigation related to metallization method patent used in manufacture of integrated circuits.
- Successfully represented publicly-traded internet service provider in action for damages related to allegedly unauthorized online activity involving plaintiff’s likeness.
- Successfully represented distribution company in shareholder and corporate governance dispute.
General Legal Advice Relating Business Issues and Transactions
- Succesfully represented of clients in connection with stock purchase of Colorado-based woodworking company and related real estate acquisition.
- Representation of clients relating to a variety of employment agreements and commercial leases.
- Representation of clients relating to corporate governance issues, particularly involving disputed board matters.
- Represenation of clients in wide-array of labor and employment counseling issues.
- Prosecution of consumer protection claims for unfair and unlawful business practices, involving mortgage fraud-related issues.
- Successfully represented multiple Silicon Valley technology companies in SEC and U.S. Department of Justice investigations for alleged stock option backdating and insider trading.
- Successfully represented large defense contractor in federal grand jury investigation involving allegations of political corruption and bribery.
J.D., with Great Distinction, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 2001.
B.A., History and Political Economy, magna cum laude, University of the Pacific, 1991.
Honors and Awards:
Order of the Coif; Traynor Honor Society; Diana P. Scott Award for Appellate Advocacy; Consumer Attorneys of California Top Trial Advocate (Fall 2001); Witkin Awards for Legal Jurisprudence in Business Associations, Constitutional Law, Professional Responsibility, and Remedies.
Recognized as a “Rising Star” in the 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 editions of Northern California Super Lawyers magazine.
State of California
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California